Whole Wheat Buttermilk Cornbread1 cup applesauce
1 1/3 cups brown sugar*
2 cups buttermilk**
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups cornmeal
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°. Grease a 9x13" pan.
- In a large bowl, combine applesauce and brown sugar. Add eggs and beat until well blended. Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture. Stir in cornmeal, flour and salt until well blended and few lumps remain.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Serve hot with butter and honey.
Other ways to enjoy it...
- Plain (seriously, it is so moist it doesn't need anything)
- As a side to soup or chili
- In a bowl with milk and possibly a little sugar or honey
*One of these days I'm going to experiment with raw sugar or honey
**I never have buttermilk on hand so I do about 2 tablespoons of white vinegar in 2 cups of milk