Sunday, April 29, 2012

Jimmy | 18 Months

Dear Jimmy,


How is it that you are already 18 months? I remember looking forward to your birth for an entire 8 months (February 23 until October 29, if you want specifics). I could not wait to hold and cuddle and cherish my perfect newborn for.... forever! What I happened to not take into consideration is, you newborns grow up! AND a whole lot faster than any mommy expects, I might add! But what I learned was, there was no stopping you, and that is what's so cool. You introduce me to all the new aspects of your journey in this life of yours with so much energy and eagerness. You have made this anti-newborn thing fun! Each new and exciting stage you enter is somehow even better than the last. You make being a mommy so easy, and so much fun. Oh, if I could only tell you how lucky I am to claim that role in your life. I love you so much.


I know I have not been the completely perfect mother. If I could turn back the hands of time, I would have totally ignored the messy house and the piles of laundry and the unswept floors and the unplanned dinners. I would have spent every single second you desired my presence giving it to you. I would not have wasted a single, solitary moment to cuddle you. I'm so glad that you taught me how babies don't keep, because now I know that toddlers don't keep either. Now I know that when you need me to read you your Drumming on a Drum book, nothing else in this world is more important. Now I know that when you hold your hands out to me, there is nothing more precious of my time than your sweet hugs.


I love it when you decide to bring me a book and beg me to read to you... You snuggle up next to me on the couch and are mesmerized by the pictures and my voice. It is so cute when I read the last page and close the cover, you say "aaaah done!"


I love how you love your daddy. You sense when it is starting to get late and Daddy is putting in a long day for us, every little peculiar noise you excitedly start gasping and saying, "Uh, Daddy? Daddy?" Sometimes I carelessly leave my phone in your reach and you bring it to me and ask again for Daddy. I call him so you can hear his voice. You don't say much, you just smile really big and every now and then you look at me in wonder and exclaim "Daaaaaddy!"


Gosh. How did you get to be so cute?


I love how you love puppies. Your stuffed puppy from Auntie Tabby is your constant companion. Your real puppy, Winston, is your best friend. Every dog you come into contact with you greet with so much happiness, you could care less that they might jump on you or knock you over. They are puppies, and that is what matters, right?


I love how you are so quick to think the ouch-ies that Winston accidentally bestows upon you are cool. Your tears are followed by a complete sense of pride and joy when you see the little bit of blood he can draw when he gets all puppy-rough on you. You run and show your new wound to daddy, and of course daddy thinks you are so manly and tough too.


I love how you love dandelions. You don't even know they are just really annoying weeds. You love to pluck their sorry little heads off and bring them to me. Coming from you, they are like the world's most expensive floral arrangement.... In fact, if I were given the choice between the two, I would choose your bouquet any day! They are so sweet. You have no idea how much it means to me that you like to delight me in that way.


I love how you turn everything into a drum. The tin pail you found, the pots in the kitchen, the piano bench, your potty chair, your big ball... You delightedly pound on it explaining to me, "issa dums, Mom!"


Oh Jimmy, you are the perfect son. I could not wish for a more affectionate, loving little sweetheart. I look at you and wonder at how you are mine. You truly are the apple of my eye. I am so grateful to God for giving you to your daddy and me. 


I love you, little man.


~Mommy



1 comment:

I love comments and read each and every one! Thanks for making my day!