Monday, March 5, 2012

Holy Guacamole!

Have I got a treat for you! 


I have developed quite the appreciation for avocados of late. Do you have any clue how nutrient-rich these babies are? We're talking looooaded with nearly twenty essential nutrients! 

Avocados are an excellent source of fiber, potassium, B vitamins, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin E, folic acid, lutein and magnesium. They are the fruit with the highest protein. One half of an avocado contains 15 grams of heart-healthy unsaturated fat. 

Basically, they are so good for you you should include them in your daily diet.


Truly I could spend all day telling you about the true goodness of these saints-of-a-fruit, but then I would find myself hippity hoppeting down an avocado-strewn rabbit trail and that probably wouldn't be very pretty. 

So back on the subject at hand.... Guacamole. This is truly, completely, totally my concoction. I had never even looked at a guacamole recipe before Super Bowl Sunday of this year when I actually had two avocados in my fridge that needed to be eaten soon. I started mashing and mixing and it wasn't long before I realized my bowl of guacamole could very well be the Super Bowl of the day... it was just that good!  

I have made it numerous times since to perfect and document my technique and now I am letting you in on my secret recipe. 

(Random fact: On average, 53.5 million pounds of guacamole are eaten every Super Bowl Sunday, which is supposed to be enough to cover a football field more than 20 feet thick! I wouldn't mind dipping into that football field.)


Here's what you need.... 


1 Avocado
1/4 cup Salsa (preferably of the slightly juicy home-made variety, fresh salsa would also be delish)
1/4 cup Finely-Diced Onion
1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 tablespoon Freshly-Squeezed Lime Juice (optional, but adds that perfect pop of flavor)
Salt to taste (if desired)


Mash avocado fruit with fork--you may prefer a different technique, but I am partial to the coarsely-mashed avocado texture you get with using a fork.

 Put all ingredients into a small mixing bowl and mix together with spoon until well combined. Refrigerate in air-tight container for 1-2 hours before serving "to marry the flavors" (yes, I love Buddy Valastro's shows).
My favorite way to serve this is with triscuits and tortilla chips. It is also delicious with other cracker and chip varieties; in tacos, salads, cold meat sandwiches, burgers; and as a baked potato topping... The options are about as endless as your creativity.

Variation--additional salsa in dip makes it go farther and is still out-of-this-world crazy-delicious. It really depends on your taste preferences and crowd-feeding size.
Probably the best healthy, tasty and guilt-free snack you could have.

Linking to Balancing Beauty and Bedlam's Tasty Tuesday

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and read each and every one! Thanks for making my day!